Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Visiting LYS and Gathering Ads - Part 3


The last ad that I collected was from Gail Knit’s on 9012 W. Sahara Ave. This has been the shop’s new location for about a year, and is located right on Sahara between the major streets of Durango and Buffalo, about 8 miles west of the Las Vegas Strip.

I don’t get to Gail Knit’s too often as it is close to 20 miles from my home, and it is usually an expensive trip when I go. This trip was no exception. I did have a nice visit with Gail, the owner. And she did renew her ad with the guild newsletter, which is always good news.

This visit to Gail Knit’s I took my completed woven vest, which I finished earlier this summer. I wanted to show it to Gail as I had bought some of the yarn for the fabric at her store. I combined Colinette Jitterbug, a variegated fingering weight yarn in greens and blue with a fleck of red and yellow with a dark aqua Silky Wool by Elsebeth Lavold. Below is a close up of the fabric.

In return Gail showed me a jacket she was knitting in black with a double seed stitch, edged in a red, rolled stockinet binding. The style of the jacket reminded me of Coco Chanel’s square cut designs. It was very striking.


Looking around the store you’ll see that Gail Knit’s has a large button collection, besides Trendsetter, Prism, Cascade, and Classic Elite yarns, among others. As you can see in this photo of my purchases, besides a knitting book I hadn’t seen before, "Skein for Skein" by Cheryl Potter published by Martingale and Co., I took home some Silky Alpaca Lace yarn by Classic Elite and more Colinette Jitterbug in two different color ways since the other yarn worked out so well in my vest. Visiting yarn shops to collect guild ads is really a nice past time, but it’s a good thing that it only come around once a year. Of course, having more self discipline wouldn’t hurt either.

No comments: