Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Lace Weaving Workshop - Part 1


While the trip to SLC was to celebrate our grandson Jack’s 5th birthday, I was really there to attend a three day workshop presented by the Mary M. Atwater Weavers’ Guild in Salt Lake City. I had joined the guild last year so that I could attend the Utah State Weavers’ Conference in April, mainly handled by the SLC guild. As part of the Conference, Daryl Lancaster, a well known weaver and clothing instructor was a featured lecturer and workshop instructor, pictured above.


Daryl had been an instructor at IWC (Intermountain Weavers’ Conference) in August, 2007, where Jan a member of the LV guild had been a participant of her workshop and highly recommended Daryl as an instructor. When I found that Daryl was going to be holding a workshop in this part of the country, I found that only way I could attend the state convention would be as a member of a Utah guild. Since my daughter lives in SLC that could solve the accommodation problem. So after find the SLC guild’s website I was able to join the guild without a problem. I found, once I received a membership roster, that the guild has members statewide, so it wasn’t unusual to a member living outside Salt Lake City.


The state conference was a great learning experience with Daryl Lancaster’s pre-conference workshop and the other shorter conference workshops. I enjoyed meeting new acquaintances with similar interests, and felt very welcomed by the group. It was such a good experience that I decided to renew my membership in the guild for this year. Even though I can’t attend many meetings, they offer opportunities for interesting workshops. If I plan ahead carefully I can participate in the workshops.

The SLC guild offered a terrific basketry workshop in Sept. that I was unable to attend. The irony was I was in SLC when the workshop took place, but Bob and I were babysitting Jack and Katie Jane white their parents were taking a long weekend in NYC. I did see some of baskets from the workshop and they were great, modernistic rather than traditional. Definitely one of a kind. Kristine the owner of the weaving/knitting store,Three Wishes, 7130 Redwood Rd. West Jordan, UT, 84084, showed me her baskets.


When the mailing came announcing the opportunity for a 3 day lace weaving workshop I really got excited. Here was a workshop I could participate in. In August I had had to cancel my spot in a freeform embroidery sewing class taught by a national instructor that I had signed up for in April! I had no one to blame but myself as it was the same weekend as Katie Jane’s birthday, something that didn’t dawn on me in April. Luckily I didn’t have to pay a penalty for canceling as there was a waiting list for the classes I had to miss. I was really disappointed though.


Then it occurred to me that the lace weaving workshop was going to be the same weekend as Jack’s birthday. I was going to be 3 for 3, three misses on three workshops with trips to SLC. However, hubby Bob did come through and the workshop was on with Grandpa Bobby as our bowling team leader.

No comments: